Download and print out an application form corresponding to the position you are interested in:
General employees: Application (for non Civil Service positions)
Firefighters: Application (Fire Positions only)
Drug Policy non D.O.T.
Drug Policy for D.O.T. C.D.L. positions (primarily Public Works)
The City of Pass Christian is currently accepting applications for the position of Equipment Operator I. Starting pay is $10.00 per hour. For a complete job description, see below or pick up at City Hall, 200 W. Scenic Drive, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571 between the hours of 8a.m. to 5p.m.
All interested individuals may submit an application at Pass Christian City Hall or mail to the City of Pass Christian, Attention: City Clerk, 200 West Scenic Drive, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571.
Deadline for submittal of application is January 18, 2019 before 4:00p.m.
The City of Pass Christian reserves the right to refuse any and all applications received. The City of Pass Christian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO Class: Technical
Reports to: Director of Public Works
Directly Supervises: Non-Supervisory
This job consist of operating tractors with grass cutting attachments and other mechanical equipment as directed; servicing equipment used on a daily basis, maintaining same, and performing other general laborer duties as directed when necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Certain functions are understood to be essential; these include, but are not limited to, attendance, getting along with others, working a full shift, and dealing with and working under stress.
• Operated hand and tractor mounted mowing equipment to cut grass in right-of ways;
• Performs unskilled laboring tasks;
• Operates light and medium duty trucks and trailers to transport light and medium equipment and materials to assigned work sites;
• Checks assigned equipment daily to assure that tire pressure, fuel, oil and other fluid levels are sufficient; adds oil, fuel or other liquids;
• Notifies supervisor of equipment malfunctions and needed maintenance; transports equipment to maintenance shop upon receiving completed work orders;
• Operates hand tools to clean right-of-ways and load materials onto trucks.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
These knowledge, skills, and abilities are usually, although not always, acquired through at least one year of experience in the operation of light and medium trucks and trailers.
• Some knowledge of maintenance requirements for light and medium duty trucks;
• Skill in the operation of light and medium trucks and trailers;
• Skill in the operation of hand tools;
• Skill in the operation of hand and tractor mounted mowing equipment;
• Ability t follow simple oral and written instructions;
• Ability to perform manual labor in all weather conditions;
• Ability to locate assigned work sites from instructions or maps;
• Knowledge of all related safety procedures.
Education and Experience
• In lieu of above requirements, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education, training and experience which would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill and ability to perform the essential duties listed above.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work involves lifting, pushing, pulling or carrying 50 pounds or more;
• Work involves the operation of earth-moving equipment or commercial motor vehicles;
• Work involves the operation of non-commercial motor vehicles;
• Work involves the operation of tools such as axes, shovels, sling blades, etc;
• Work involves the operation of motorized equipment such as chain saws, power saws, jackhammers, lawn mowers, and tractors;
• Work involves climbing or running;
• Work involves stooping, bending, twisting, or reaching out in unusual positions;
• Works above ground or floor level, such as on stools or ladders;
• Works in a relatively high average temperature over a long period of time;
• Work involves considerable physical exertion of the whole body over a long period of time
• Work requires near vision (20 inches or less);
• Work required distant vision (20 feet or more);
• Work involves the detection of color differences;
• Work involves hearing and understanding conversation.
• Outdoor weather conditions;
• Work near moving mechanical parts;
• Fumes or dust;
• Toxic or caustic chemicals;
• Extreme heat (non-weather over 90°F);
• Low noise (e.g., business office)
• Moderate noise(e.g., light motorized equipment such as lawn mowers);
• Loud noise (e.g., jackhammers, heavy motorized equipment).
License and Certifications:
• Valid Mississippi Driver’s License at the time of appointment or ability to obtain one within thirty (30) days and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.