For Non-Civil Service positions.
Fire Positions Only.
The City of Pass Christian is currently accepting applications for full time and part time dispatch positions. The salary range for the full time positions is $25,000 to $31,000 per year depending upon experience. The part time positions will be a starting pay of $10.00 per hour. This position is subject to pre-employment drug testing. For a complete job description, see below or pick up at City Hall, 200 W. Scenic Drive, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571 between the hours of 8a.m. to 5p.m.
All interested individuals may submit an application in a sealed envelope to the Attention of the City Clerk at Pass Christian City Hall located at 200 West Scenic Drive or mail to City of Pass Christian, Attention: City Clerk, 200 West Scenic Drive, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571.
The City of Pass Christian reserves the right to refuse any and all applications received. The City of Pass Christian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Starting Salary: (depending upon experience)
Shifts: Rotating –
The Dispatcher operates communications equipment to
receive/transmit messages and information, including police and fire
emergencies. Information is transmitted
upon request and official records kept according to established department
policies and procedures. Performs a
variety of clerical, administrative and technical work in receiving,
coordinating and dispatching routine and emergency calls for service.
The Dispatcher is expected to exercise judgment in
performing these duties under the general direction of a supervisor. This is a non-exempt position and reports
directly to the Communications Supervisor.
- Operates telephones, radios and all other
essential communication equipment
- Receives calls which must be properly processed:
obtain address, nature of call, dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment to
- Maintains radio contact will all police and fire
units in the field
- Maintains status and current information on all
units in and out of service
- Receives routine calls and gives information as
requested by the public and officers/firefighters
- Assists in testing radio frequencies, make
routing announcements and relays messages via radio
- Maintains all records in CAD
- Is familiar with the General Orders used by the
- Understand and use signal and 10 codes used by
- Uses NCIC and obtains a working knowledge of the
system and laws that govern its use
- Prior experience in the operation of two-way
radio and/or telephone switchboard equipment
- Typing and clerical experience
- Must have the ability to work rotating shift
work as well as nights, weekends and holidays
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective
working relationships with other employees, supervisor and other departments
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Previous dispatch experience is a plus
- Must meet requirements to become a State
Certified Public Service Telecommunicator
- Must have a valid Mississippi Driver’s License
and Working Conditions
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of
10+ lbs, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand to eye coordination and manual
dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office
equipment. Subject to sitting, standing,
reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential
functions. Working conditions are
indoors with a moderate to high noise level and a consistent high stress level.